Couple of Rules Que...

Couple of Rules Questions  

RSS
Tug
 Tug
(@tug)
Estimable Member

Hey guys, just a couple of rules questions....

1st, am I required a switch on the clutch to disable the starter unless the clutch is depressed?

2nd, am I allowed to have my two step starting line limiter wired to a switch on the clutch?

and the last one.... My Lakewood Saftey Bell doesnt have a window for adjustments. Are we allowed to make one? Not just cut it out, but cut it out and make it able to be bolted back into place?

Thanks all!

Posted : 05/05/2012 12:43 am
gearhead1011
(@gearhead1011)
Honorable Member

I don't know of anyone that has a clutch safety switch unless some of the factory ones are still functional. It's not in the UMTR rules and I don't know of any NHRA rule for it.

I think most guys running a 2-step have them wired to a clutch switch and it's legal. You just aren't allowed any type of release device.

ANY modifications you make to the bell housing will void the certification. There are a lot of guys that have made minor mods to theirs such as a small hole to measure the air gap or adjust the pressure. These mods will prevent those bell housings from certifying. That will fall under the category of safety and is policed by the track not UMTR. That being said I have never had any track ask for my bell housing certification and don't know of anyone else that has. I wouldn't recommend cutting a window in it because if it fails you can get hurt. If you have to have one I think you can send it off and have it done correctly and if a pro does it it will certify.

2010 QS #9
2011 QS #3
2012 shootin' for #1

Chuck Woloch
Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer

1997 Probe
SBF
Liberty 5 speed

2010 QS #9
2011 QS #3
Chuck Woloch
Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
1997 Probe
SBF
Liberty 5 speed

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/05/2012 1:43 am
Peanuts
(@peanuts)
Reputable Member

No rule on the clutch pedal switch, but I

1957 Chevy Belair

1957 Chevy Belair

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/05/2014 7:13 am
Peanuts
(@peanuts)
Reputable Member

Hit submit 'fore I was done. Anyway, I had a tech person ask me once if I had a neutral safety switch in the car. lol don't think he was too up to speed on manual shift racecars.

1957 Chevy Belair

1957 Chevy Belair

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/05/2014 7:22 am
angelwatcher44
(@angelwatcher44)
Reputable Member

Tug call Tim i beleive he can put a window in it and certife it at the same time. I just had our bellhousing done the certification was 100.00 dont know the cost to put window in. Like chuck said if u do it and it fails it is going to hurt

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/05/2014 12:13 pm
mloboda
(@mloboda)
Member Admin

Jim's right, Call Tim Hyatt @ 440-417-0230
He'll answer all safety questions/certification questions accurately.

UMTR North Director
1970 AMX
415 AMC motor
Jerico 4 speed
Best 9.40 @ 140

UMTR North Director
1970 AMX
415 AMC motor
Jerico 4 speed
Best 9.40 @ 140

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/05/2014 9:23 am
motorman
(@motorman)
Reputable Member

I was told no holes on the outside circumference of bell. Small hole in back to adjust clutch ok. Hyatt can tell you for sure....And by the way, Tim doesn't keep that certification money.....The biggest chunk goes to NHRA. You know....the ones who make those rules...go figure

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/05/2014 2:47 pm
Share: