advanced clutch sb ...

advanced clutch sb ford  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS
Battlestar
(@battlestar)
Famed Member

Cale, we are talking the sides of the pressure ring stand. Yes the hat has small squares welded to the inside of the window for better support.

The hat in the picture doesn't even look like it has the folded sides. Just an open hole.

Larry
1964 Galaxie wagon
**2006 NORTH Q/S POINTS CHAMP**
**2009 NORTH Q/S POINTS CHAMP**

Canton Automotive Machine
Carls Ford Parts
Hyatt Racing Clutch

Larry
1964 Galaxie wagon
**2006 NORTH Q/S POINTS CHAMP**
**2009 NORTH Q/S POINTS CHAMP**
Canton Automotive Machine
Carls Ford Parts
Hyatt Racing Clutch

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/02/2018 4:53 pm
cale aronson
(@cale-aronson)

The 10.00" doesn't have the stamping provision or process for the "fold over" like the 10.50/11.00". That is why they welded in the block. Just for info... here is an old print of that cover.

I've seen plenty of lever stands that are part of the aluminum pressure ring crack. If they let go, it is major damage. The older style pressure plates are definitely a consumable part as are all pressure rings given enough time, however the rivet on heat shield style is the worst, then the lever stands being cut from the same piece of aluminum is another weak point... especially the ones made from 6065 vs. 7075 grade aluminum. When designing the Nex-Gen this is why we put Bolt Through Lever Stands... it allowed for more strength and also allowed two other bonus features... We could better triangulate the pressure applied at the levers, as well as encapsulate the yoke, eliminating the need for a cotter pin or retainer of some sort. The MFG being discussed recently "imitated" this design idea on encapsulating the yokes, however steel riding against aluminum doesn't work very long. I just repaired "bandaided" one, and added some other pieces.

This is normal after enough time/wear on a standard 10.00" pressure ring.

This is the Lever Stand Design on the Nex-Gen

Here is the "imitation" design

This was the result... Luckily it was caught before any damage.

I might mention, I also prefer to use segmented heat shields rather than one piece. This allows for expansion and contraction of the wear surfaces. Also, rivet on heat shields always have the downside of three materials being used with different rates of expansion and heat dissipation (Brass Rivet, Steel Heat Shield and Aluminum Pressure Ring/Flywheel)

Just to show... this is how we engineered around 1 piece rivet on heat shields. Additionally allowed us to move away from a stamped steel cover to CNC cut aluminum. Gave us better heat disipation, as well as more room to work. An entire assembly on most flywheel sizes is around 28 lbs. We took out weight where it wasn't needed and put it where it was. We added material around the heat shield areas.

This isn't meant to be a bashing post, just trying to educate and distribute some info. The problem with the unit in this post is obvious and the pressure ring should have been thrown away. I take safety very seriously. We spun the Nex-Gen to 15,000 rpm for 5 min, just to know it was safe! We have had 1 come apart, and it did exactly what it was designed to do... it broke at all the heat shields, and the cover broke at the cooling vents. It was in a car turning 10,000+ rpm. Everything else was good, even the can was reused! The steel covers and 1 piece heat shields are metal hoola-hoops around the input shaft if something does happen. Nothing is "indestructible" especially in racing... however I always try to plan for the eventuality of the failure.

I hope this helps... I always try to give data and information anytime I can. In the end, I don't know who sold this unit to him, but it obviously should have never been attempted to be repaired especially with epoxy. I have TIG welded small cracks in a pinch at the track for guys, but only to get them a few passes. The heat cycles are just too much and a weld isn't any stronger than the original material.

Cale Aronson
Black Magic Clutches
www.blackmagicclutches.com
cale@blackmagicclutches.com
816-390-0852

Cale Aronson
Black Magic Clutches
816-390-0852

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/02/2018 9:55 am
maverick
(@maverick)
Estimable Member

Are the levers in your assembly, considered no bind levers? The newer levers I seen in the last few years have a elongated hole for the lever to move, and not bind. I am always looking for something better.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/02/2018 11:20 am
maverick
(@maverick)
Estimable Member

Seen the pictures of your levers on clutch tech topic. Thanks for posting.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/02/2018 11:30 am
cale aronson
(@cale-aronson)

quote:

Originally posted by maverick

Seen the pictures of your levers on clutch tech topic. Thanks for posting.

That "No Bind" is a BS thing... If the geometry is correct and enough room is allowed between the 2 fulcrum points, it won't bind. My lever designs are all tested on my clutch dyno. Neither my old style Long Style levers or Nex-Gen have the elongated back hole. Most single disc uits shouldn't see more than .070" MAX air gap, and don't need to travel past the point where they COULD bind. 😉

Cale Aronson
Black Magic Clutches
816-390-0852

Cale Aronson
Black Magic Clutches
816-390-0852

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/02/2018 11:48 am
SuperStockAMX
(@superstockamx)
Noble Member

Stickboy....
Rob at Advanced Clutches has made numerous attempts to call you but as you do not have an answering machine, he can not leave a message. So....call him.

SuperStock / H
1970 390 AMC AMX
Advanced Clutches
Dual 7" Sportsman

1320/MPH=optimum ET!

NHRA SS/H
1970 390 AMC AMX
Advanced Clutches
Single 8” Billet
4300 Autolite
1320/MPH=optimum ET!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/02/2018 8:24 am
SuperStockAMX
(@superstockamx)
Noble Member

Stickboy,
With all the new parts sent to you by Advanced Clutches was this issue resolved? Please post.

SuperStock / H
1970 390 AMC AMX
Advanced Clutches
Dual 7" Sportsman

1320/MPH=optimum ET!

NHRA SS/H
1970 390 AMC AMX
Advanced Clutches
Single 8” Billet
4300 Autolite
1320/MPH=optimum ET!

ReplyQuote